Saturday – June 20
General William Westmoreland replaced General Paul Harkins as head of the U.S. forces deployed in Vietnam.
- With one out, Dennis Bennett gave up a home run (#6) to Joe Christopher.
- Charley Smith followed with a double.
- One out later, Hawk Taylor homered (#1) to make it 3-0.
The Phillies chipped away in the fifth and sixth innings to pull even.
- With one out – in a surprising move – Gene Mauch sent Cookie Rojas to the plate to pinch-hit for Bobby Wine – and Rojas doubled.
- Mauch completed the double-switch by sending Wes Covington up to pinch-hit for Dennis Bennett. When Covington flied out to right, Rojas tagged and moved to third.
- Tony Taylor singled to score Rojas and trim the deficit to 3-1.
- With two outs, John Herrnstein singled and scored when Roy Sievers followed with a home run (#4) to tie the score 3-3.
But as soon as the Phillies tied it up, the Mets took back the lead in the bottom of the sixth:
- Hawk Taylor and Amado Samuel started the inning with back-to-back singles.
- After Jack Fisher struck out trying to bunt the runners along, Dallas Green walked Jim Hickman to load the bases.
- Ed Kranepool singled to score Samuel and retake the lead at 4-3.
- Joe Christopher led off with his second home run (#7) of the game – this one off of Jack Baldschun – the fourth pitcher used by Gene Mauch.
- One out later, Dick Smith singled, stole second, and scored on Hawk Taylor’s second home run (#2) of the game.
That ended the scoring at 7-4 Mets – and ended the Phillies three-game winning streak.
Jack Fisher (5-5) pitched well enough to win – with a save (#1) by Al Jackson.
Dennis Bennett gave up three runs on seven hits – but didn’t take the loss. He was removed after four innings complaining of tendonitis is his pitching elbow. Dallas Green (1-1) gave up only one run on four hits – but he took the loss.
Around the League – The Giants clobbered the Cardinals 14-3 to pick up a game in the standings to close to within 1½ games of the Phillies.
In addition to being the official Eagles Outsider for BlameMyFather.com – Barry Bowe is also the author of: