Sunday – May 17
Phillies bats managed only single runs in the third and the sixth – but that’s all they needed.
- Johnny Callison and Wes Covington hit back-to-back doubles and to make it 1-0 Phillies.
- Tony Gonzalez led off with a walk.
- Gus Triandos laid down a bunt. Jim Owens charged the ball – but kicked it for an error allowing Gonzalez to move to second and Triandos to make it safely to first.
- After Bobby Wine struck out for the first out, Chris Short bunted the runners to second and third.
- Tony Taylor’s two-out single sent Gonzalez across the plate to end the scoring at 2-0.
Jim Owens (1-3) pitched well for the Colt 45s – allowing just six hits and one unearned run in six innings of work – but took the loss. Claude Raymond finished up with three hitless innings.
Around the League – The Giants shut out the Mets in both ends of a doubleheader:
- Bob Hendley (3-3) stifled the Mets 6-0 in the first game on just three hits.
- Ron Herbel (1-0) gave up seven hits while striking out eight in the 1-0 nightcap.
The two wins enabled the Giants to pick up ½-game and move one full-game ahead of the Phillies.
In addition to being the official Eagles Outsider for BlameMyFather.com, Barry Bowe is also the author of: